UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS) - DRONE OPERATION
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires UAS owners using the aircraft for hobby or recreation to register the UAS through www.faa.gov/uas/registration
. Different requirements exist for operation of civil or public UAS & may be viewed at www.faa.gov/uas/
UAS near Manned Aircraft & FBOs
educates pilots/operators about safe & responsible operation of UAS. All UAS operators are required to contact an airport and/or the Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) if they are operating within 5 miles of an airport.
To determine if an UAS will be flown within five (5) miles of an airport or heliport, go to http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/
. Please contact the Lakeland Noble F. Lee Memorial Airport via the airport FBO office at 715-356-3891 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, an FAA mobile app called B4UFLY may be downloaded at https://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/
to determine an operator's location & indicate if the UAS is in the radius of any airport facility that must be contacted.
Safety guidelines for recreational/hobbyist UAS operators include:
- Fly below 400 feet & remain clear of surrounding obstacles
- Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
- Remain well clear of & do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
- Do not fly near people or stadiums
- Do not fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55lbs
- Do not be careless or reckless with unmanned aircraft - can be fined for endangering people or other aircraft